Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sefardik-Italian Goulash by Tamra Lee

     I've only known a handful of people  familiar with this dish.  My mother made this as I was growing up; and it was one of my favorites. Now my family loves it!  Many years ago, I prepared it for (as far as I know, unrelated) Italian friends. The husband exclaimed, "This is just like my Mama's!"  Quite a compliment! I hope you enjoy it too.
1 1/2 - 2 lbs ground Beef
1 medium Onion, diced
2 stalks Celery, washed and diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 Bell Pepper, diced
3: 16 oz cans stewed or diced tomatoes
1/4 cup Parmesan/Romano cheese
16 oz Shell Pasta (GF is often available)
1 teasp Sugar
1 TBSP Basil
1 TBSP Italian Oregano
1 TBSP Rosemary
1 teasp Marjoram
1 teasp Spanish Paprika
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preparations:
Brown ground beef with Onion, Garlic, Celery and Bell Peppers.
Drain fat off.
Then add canned Tomatoes, Sugar and Herbs.  Simmer 30+ minutes on low.
While simmering, boil water and prepare pasta. When just done, pour off water (do not rinse, if using GF pasta); and add to meat and vegetable mixture.  Add Parmesan/Romano cheeses; stir and simmer 5-10 minutes more.
Serve with breadsticks or sourdough bread.
Vegetable Side Dish:
Tossed Green Salad with oil and Red Wine Vinegar or your favorite Italian dressing.  OR
Italian Green Beans cooked in 1 TBLSP of Italian dressing.

Note from Rebecca Lee: I could not find one picture out there that looked like my Mama's goulash. So, I will please you with a lovely picture of Italy.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful recipe Rebecca. I am definitely going to try it

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Google+ Followers

Popular Posts